Not All EAAs Are Created Equal
Share this post:
First, before we can talk about EAAs, it’s important to note that BCAAs are contained in the EAAs, and that the two are complementary.
Amino9™ is a Leucine-enhanced, clinically-substantiated* blend of all nine essential amino acids, including the three BCAAs — leucine, isoleucine, and valine. Amino9™ is designed to help bodybuilders, competitive athletes, and anyone leading an active lifestyle to recover after strenuous exercise, improve body composition and maintain muscle.
Because essential amino acids are growing rapidly, two markets are developing quickly as of June 2018:
1) Premium, clinically-substantiated EAA blends like Amino9™.
2) Cheap EAA blends consisting of higher levels of Taurine, Lysine and Threonine.
What you want as a consumer is an EAA blend with Leucine content around 2.5 grams. Amino9™ checks that box.
Essential Amino Acids
In a 2017 study by Jackman, BCAAs showed 22% more Muscle Protein Synthesis (MPS) stimulation than placebo. However, that result was 50% LESS than a whey protein containing the same quality of BCAAs (Churchward-Venne 2012). In other words, EAAs had a 50% better MPS response than BCAAs following resistance exercise, and “a full complement of essential amino acids could be necessary to stimulate maximal MPS,” according to the study.
It’s important to note that when ingesting BCAAs or Leucine alone, the body robs itself of the EAAs to try to maximize MPS (Nair et al., 1992; Tipton et al., 2009; Borgenvik et al., 2012). When ingesting aminos, you need the EAA substrates to maintain the body’s EAA inventory!
EAA availability is the rate-limiting factor for stimulating maximal MPS response to resistance exercise when there is already enough Leucine to “trigger” mTOR.
Mechanism of Action
Taking Leucine itself starts the anabolic engine, but it’s the other amino acids that make the car actually move. While the BCAAs take the car down the track a quarter mile, it’s the essential amino acids that take the car miles down the track fast and efficiently. EAAs are high-octane fuel for athletes who truly want the best.
MPS “Flow Chart”
Leucine spikes insulin —> insulin and Leucine stimulate mTOR —> EAA substrates magnify Leucine’s anabolic effect —> MPS is optimized
Benefits of EAAs
– Have been shown to stimulate as much MPS as whey protein.
– They activate MPS with a lower insulin spike than whey protein.
– EAAs stimulate more muscle protein balance than BCAAs.
– They are like “BCAAs Plus” because EAAs contain BCAAs!
– Essential amino acids can have a lower cost-per-dose than whey protein.
– They require a lower dose than whey protein.
– Fast-acting, free-form essential amino acids
– Easy to flavor and sweeten
– Easily soluble and dissolves clearly in water
– Stable in Ready-To-Drink beverages
– Low calorie
– Easy on the stomach — no bloating
– No lactose (dairy-free)
– Gluten free; allergen-free
– Vegan option available
Applications of EAAs
– Protein powders
– Adult nutrition for muscle health
Amino9™ is gluten-free, dairy-free, fast-acting, disolves clearly in water, stable in RTD beverages, gentle on the stomach, and easily flavored.